Sunday, January 12, 2014

18 Years Baby!

Today is the day that began our journey together. Jeff asked me out a month prior to our date, making for some awkward high school moments before the date. I almost cancelled the date because I wasn't feeling great, but if I were really honest, I considered cancelling because I was nervous, and was not, nor am I now, a risk taker. You see, Jeff was (and is) this really nice guy, who was (and is) cute and made (and makes) me laugh, and he wanted to take me out. What would I say? What if it there was silence? What if he turned out to be...lame...It was really my first date, and as a 16 year old girl I didn't know what to expect. Jeff arrived on time, took my to El Pollo Inka so we could eat and dance (but it was Peruvian dancing so neither of us felt comfortable dancing), and then to Mulligans where he beat me in miniature golf. There was a group of younger girls that was ahead of us, and sometimes we had to wait for them to finish at their tee before we could go. One such time, as we were sitting on a wall waiting for them to finish, Jeff tried to put his arm around me. One of the girls looked over and said, "Are you two on a date?" I was so nervous I wanted to say, "No...we are not together" but we were on a date. "Kinda" was my only answer, which was enough to make Jeff keep his arm by his side. We walked back to the car and my sister Jenna and some friends, Becka and Stephanie, had toilet papered our car and left two rings around the antenna. I was so mad at them, but that ring became a symbol of endearment as Jeff carried that ring around in his wallet for years, and now as he keeps it safe in a little wooden box. You see, even on our first date we were learning about each other without realizing it. I see now so many things about our first date that remain qualities that we both love and tolerate about each other. He was learning that I am indecisive and question every decision, even after I make it. He was learning that I don't care if I win or lose, as long as we laugh in the process. He was learning to be patient and to take things slowly and just enjoy time together. He was also learning that when I am nervous I talk and talk and talk...the more talking I do the more nervous I am. And I was pretty nervous on our first date. And I was learning that he was punctual. Very punctual. I also noticed that he was a sensitive guy, valuing things in our relationship along the way that I might miss. That he was confident and bold, but also perceptive to when he should be patient. And that I only dance when I know the sing about 80% of the songs as loudly and off key as possible. And that I keep funny friends. And that I am not a risk taker, and when things seem risky I tend to flake out, or at least want to flake out. But praise God that I did not flake out 18 years ago on our first date. Praise God that we have walked together, drawing closer to God and closer to each other along the way. We have loved a lot, learned a lot, talked a lot, prayed a lot, and changed a lot. Hopefully for the better. Praise God for the work He has done and is doing through our relationship. I love you Jeff, and am blessed to have such a companion to walk through life with. Thank you for being patient with me, for caring for me, and for forgiving me. You are my beloved and I am yours.

1 comment:

Y said...

all I gotta say is... yay!
with a little happy giggle because love, young and old, is so delightful! :)