Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fire Proof

Jeff and I have joined a small group based on the movie (yes, a movie!) Fire Proof. Has anyone heard of it? I hadn't. I won't give anything away, but here is a brief synopsis:

A man (Kirk Cameron - didn't know he was still acting!) and his wife are on the brink of divorce when the man's father challenges him to show his wife love in a different way everyday (i.e. calling her at work, buying her a gift...). Things don't start off well, the man becomes a Christian and then he truly starts to love his wife rather than just checking off the tasks. I promised to not give the ending away, so I'll leave you all sitting on the edge of your seat wondering what happened, but I will tell you I was not surprised by the ending (did that give it away??)

So, we joined this group because a. it had childcare b. we were invited and c. we would like to get to know some people from the church. The first week we watched the movie. I was very critical. This last week we spent the evening talking about the expectations we had when we got married as well as gender roles. Not being fond of gender stereotypes, or that Christians so readily accept these stereotypes, my criticism was ratcheted up a notch.

Well, I'm reading the book and it dawns on me: is it really so bad to show my husband love in cheesy ways? My pride is making me defensive and judgmental, which is preventing me from even trying anything new. I mean, if the book suggests showing patience, isn't that a fruit of the Spirit that I should be praying for anyway, especially in my marriage? Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting the movie, or the book (which I actually call Christian propaganda) I am just saying, it isn't a bad thing to do silly things for the man I love. Plus, he brought me Starbucks this morning...do I need to say any more?

No comments: