To start, my grandarents missed their flight because of a gate change. They were put on tand by for the next flight, but it was booked, so waited for the following flight. By the time they arrived at LAX it was the worst traffic time (5pm) so they were not at my parents house until 7:3opm. BUT, once they were at my parents house we all joyously embraced and were so, so happy to be together again!
We spent the evening chatting and stayed up until 10pm (12am Texas time) just telling stories and being together. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was so glad that I had decided to stay Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at my mom's house (where they were also staying). I was then going to leave Hannah and Kate Thursday and Friday with mom and dad, and then Jeff and I would return with Rachel Lee on Saturday and stay through Sunday. When you only see someone every three years you want to make the most of every moment!
Tuesday morning my sister Jenna and her two kiddos arrived and we were just letting the kids play when my grandmother stood up and then fell over. She hit the cement outside and could not get up. I called 9-1-1, and a paramedic team and fire truck arrived quickly and took her to the hospital. After many tests, we discovered that her blood pressure medicine was negatively affecting her, and that she had a fractured pelvis from the fall. They were admitting her to the hospital, so even though I was going to stay longer to visit, I decided to return to San Diego.
Grandma spent three days in the hospital, and was released on Friday. Jeff and I took the kids up on Saturday, and stayed through until Sunday. Grandma was using a walker to get around, but I was honestly impressed with her ability to move even though there was a lot of pain (which she will still deny if you ask her...stubbornness runs in my family!).
My grandparents went home on Wednesday and arrived safely. They used the assistance of wheelchairs and walkers to get back home, and are relieved to be home and seeing their regular doctors again. My grandmother is now in Physical Therapy, and is going to take several months to recover.
So, their trip was not what any of us expected, but we were able to enjoy the time we did have together. Family is such a blessing and I love being able to celebrate each other! What a gift God has given us! Here is a video of my Grandma with Rachel Lee (I have hiccups...sorry!):
1 comment:
Hiccups=hilar!
Post a Comment