Saturday, December 1, 2012

Deep Thoughts...

It seems that my when we are on long drives my girls and I have deep conversations. Maybe they have time to think, or that since everyone is strapped in they can finally talk to me without interruptions, but it's weird how many deep conversations we have in the car. The other day we were driving and the girls were talking about jobs. They were trying to find jobs they could do together, and Hannah suggested she be a doctor and Kate be a nurse, or that Hannah owns a restaurant and Kate is the waitress. Hannah then said, H: If we work together we can live together too! K: (covering her mouth and giggling) We can't marry each other! We have to marry a boy! And it can't be someone in the family!! (he, he, he) H: No, like Aunt Anne and Aunt Chris...they live together S: They are roommates. If you are not married you live with friends that are girls, and boys live with friends that are boys. It's called roommates. Mrs. Emily was my roommate before I married Daddy and Mr. Tim was Daddy's roommate before we got married. K: I can't have a roommate because I am going to marry Josh. H: You don't know who you will marry! K: I am going to marry Josh. H: Well I thought I would marry Josh but I don't like him. I would get a divorce if I were married to him. S: Well, Hannah, not liking someone is not a reason God gives us for divorce. See, when you marry someone you become their family through special promises you make only to them. God has given family a special bond: you will have many friends in life, but only two sisters, and only one mom and dad. We are a gift to you from God, just like you are a gift to us from God. Once you are family you work things out with family. But, if the person you married break that special promise they make you, or if they hurt your body or mind you need to get away from someone like that, and then you would probably get a divorce. That person is not safe to be with. So, you need to be careful when you are dating that you get to know the person you are with, and if you don't like that person then you need to find someone else. Does that make sense? H: Yes, but what if the person I marry does not love the one true God? S: Well, do you think that person would be someone God wants you to marry? H: No! Okay, here's the plan, when I go on a date my first question will be, "Do you love the one true God?" and if they say, "No" then I will just leave them. That way I will only marry someone who loves the one true God. K: Yes, me too. I love God. H: Me too. Whether or not that is the first question they ask on their first date, it is great to have these deep conversations with the girls with the hopes that they are setting high for people they date and ultimately their future husbands. Lord, may these seeds grow in their hearts to produce good fruit that would glorify you and bless others. May you protect them from unnecessary hurt and harm and give them your strength when they go through tough times.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm glad they're working these issues out now, even though they have another 15 or 20 years until they start dating :) Thanks for setting a good example for them.

Audrey Gustafson said...

wow, cool conversation, and great parent role modeling for us newbies!!

Erin said...

Pretty amazing