Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Potty Training: Attempt 1

Kate is interested in the toilet. She loves watching people using the toilet (TMI?) and will say "pot-tee" or "poo" followed by her wrinkling her nose and making and sniffy sounds, which is what I do when changing her diaper because let me tell you, this little girl can do some big stinks! (TMI, again?)

Given her interest and her ability to communicate when she poops topped with the fact that we are sick so we can't go anywhere I decided to start potty training. We actually started last night, and had two successes, no failures. I was very optimistic when I woke up that today Kate would catch right on and be completely potty trained by the time Jeff got home tonight. (Polk, are you laughing?)
Kate went potty this morning first thing, was rewarded with an M&M and then put on some undies. She had an accident in her chair during breakfast, but I think it occurred when she said "pot-tee" and pointed towards the toilet. Being strapped in she could no go to the potty, and half awake I didn't realize that she could communicate before she needed to go that she needed to go.
Cleaned up accident #1, had two successes, both with her initiating! Seriously?!? Was is going to be that easy?

No.

After that she seemed to hit a wall, which is typical of Kate. Most mornings Kate still wants a morning nap, and most mornings I distract and stretch her so she only takes one nap. So, right around 11:00 she hit a wall: three accidents in a row, followed by her telling me "poo" and when I sat her on the toilet she tooted and then threw a massive tantrum because I did not give her an M&M. Looking back I would have given her a reward to keep the successes coming, but hind sight is 20/20.

She finally calmed down, had two more accidents and began screaming, "No, no, no" waving her hands when I got a new pair of undies out after the second accident. I forced them on thinking, "Wow, I have strong willed children" which is a little like the pot calling the kettle black, as I was determined to have her trained by the evening...really? She threw her self down and rolled and kicked her way out of the undies. At this point I realized she was a. tired b. frustrated and c. done with potty training for the day.
I put a diaper on her, she chuckled an exhausted kind of chuckle, went to her room, crawled in bed and cried herself to sleep. The girl was clearly tired and relieved to be back in her diaper.

Jeff asked last night what my plan was and I said, "To see how it goes." Now I know: she may have the ability, she may have the interest but she does not have the patience it takes to potty train right now. Anyway you look at it, I think the verdict is she needs more time. I know I rushed through some stages of her infancy, mostly because I was tired, but I don't want to rush her through toddlerhood. Time is precious and I want to enjoy these moments with her rather than racing through life and forcing her to grow up. She is my baby, and I like it that way!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Kate's in a big-girl bed? When did that happen?