My "big gurl" Hannah will be the first to tell people she is not a baby. No more singing her Rock-a-bye-Baby. It's now Rock-a-bye-Hannah. And she's right. She is no longer a toddler but a little girl. She sets the table in for dinner, clears the napkins when we are done, gets her own cups, puts her clothes away and cleans up her toys. She tells me often that she loves me, and hangs on Jeff when he gets home telling him that she missed him during the day, and she does miss him. She asks to go eat with daddy, play with daddy, and she asks when daddy will scoop her up (one of her favorite things Jeff does when he gets home is scoop her up and give her kisses). She cares for Kate with kisses, sharing toys, and reading her books because according to her, "Tatters a baby and no read like me."She is a complete joy, a reminder of God's grace.
H: Mom, help! My head hurt! (said with whine)
S: Well, maybe you need to drink more water. Can I get you some water?
H: No, I need mon-ehhhh! (said with greed)
Seriously, does she think I will pay her to stop whining? Would it work???
Jeff and I have promoted Hannah to the Critter's Class for Sunday School, feeling the the nursery, consisting of one other kid that cries the entire time, Kate, and involving baby toys, was too young for her. I was amazed on Wednesday when I decided that I should review the Critter Memory Verse with her. I started, "Give," and she contined by saying (with actions), "and given to me! (hitting her belly with both hands) Shakin' (shaking her hands from side to side) and runnin' over (running in place)." The verse is actually, "Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over." Luke 6:38a and refers to the forgiveness that we have been given, and how we should not judge or condemn others but instead should overflow with forgiveness ourselves. What an encouragement it is to see God's truth taking root in her heart through memorizing scripture at such a young age!! And how great it is to know that we are not alone, but that we have a church that will support us as parents! I'll toast to that! Cheers!
Kate, who is now called Tatters at church and on the playground, is such a toddler now. She tries new things every day, and falls a lot. Her new habit of carrying around the stool to climb on things is not helping her at all. This morning Hannah bounced (literally, jumping up and down) into my room and announced, "Tat-ters go-in pot-ty on da tol-it!" Before I could process her statement I heard a thud followed by a loud cry. I ran to the bathroom and found Kate stuck on the floor between the toilet and the tub crying, actually more like screaming, loudly. Potty training is not in the near future!
I podcasted a sermon the other day and Pastor Rick said, "No sane person commits to getting married, and no sane people have kids. You are enticed by the promises of the highlights that these endeavors bring." So true. I lead an insane life with so many highlights (and low lights for that matter!) and my heart overflows with happiness. My girls in their unique stages of life are a constant reminder of God's blessings and grace in my life. Even the simple act of making cookies or doing dishes are more fun with six hands there to add to the chaos.
4 comments:
Love this blog, thanks for the funny stories. Those girls have so much tude and spunk! I love it!
one of my all time favorites, sarah! and that rick quote is perfect.
Agreed with Kristen! Wonderful post - I love the conclusion, it's so real.
great post, sarah. it was a good mommy encouragement to me today. (it's been a rough one..) miss you!!!!
Post a Comment