Monday, August 26, 2013

The Unexpected Accident

It was Friday, August 9, the last day that we were allowed to be in the house and the day of the ice cream social for the girls after their week of vacation Bible school. Jeff was trying to get everything we needed for our 2 month temporary housing time to fit in the car, and I was frantically trying to clean the house so we would get our deposit back. The girls were crazy and running wild. Recipe for disaster, right? Absolutely. But did Jeff or I stop? No...we had tasks to accomplish and places to get. I yelled out to Jeff that he could return the vacuum and cleaning supplies that we borrow from our dear neighbor, Ivy...I could imagine him mumbling under his breath, "Oh, really? I can return those items for you...please, let me." It was that kind of mood...tense. On the way back from Ivy's house Rachel Lee was balancing on the curb and fell off into the street and started scream. I dropped my sponge and ran outside. I picked her up and let her cry. She was still crying when we put her in the car and headed to the park, but by the time we were at the park she was better. Limping, but not crying. We asked our friends, Karen and Yolanda, who are pediatricians, and Yolanda said it was probably a growth plate fracture and we should take her to the doctor's Saturday. We let her continue playing, and as she was climbing up a ladder (and probably favoring her injured foot) she fell again and landed on her foot. From that moment until we were at the doctors the next day she would not walk on it. In fact, when she woke the next morning she stood up and said, "My foot hurting. I need med-sin" (medicine). So, in the midst of the chaos RL has a walking boot (cast) on her foot, which meant that at the family vacation she could not get it wet or go in the sand. Instead, she and I hung out quite a bit at the house and went for a few runs along the strand. She was a good sport the whole time, and looking back, the more restful pace of things for a week was just what I needed to prepare for this portion unsettled-settling time in San Fransisco. God works in the unexpected.

No comments: