Monday, March 4, 2013

Helping a Sick Mama Heal

I, unfortunately, am sick. It started a week ago when I mentioned to Jeff that I might be developing a cold. Fast forward to Friday and I had bronchitis and had completely lost my voice. I had chills and hot flashes (is that what it's called when you are sick or only in menopause?) and was just achy all over. On Thursday night after I placed a desperate call to Jeff saying, "Please skip basketball and come home," Hannah spent some time reading to me and Kate sang to me and stroked my hair gently. Rachel Lee, totally oblivious that I was sick or that the girls were taking care of me, was content to have free rein with all the toys. It was a sweet moment when I realized that Kate and Hannah are beginning to think of others, and care for others. My girls are growing up, and are really a blessing to me when I am healthy as well as sick. I often commiserate with other sick moms saying, "Mama's don't get days off" and we don't. I am still sick today and I have packed Hannah's lunch, built blocks, played kitchen, played dolls, negotiated fights, killed 2 brown widows (don't get me started there!), served lunch, cleaned up lunch...you all get the idea...it's not a day off to sit on the couch, read a book sip coffee and fall asleep hoping that when I wake I will be healthy again, but it's not what it used to be when I had three girls who thought only of themselves. My girls are a comfort to me and in their reading, singing, dancing and playing they are actually helping me heal and are a delight to me while I am sick. Here are my girls, performing for me as I lay on the couch. Rachel Lee is on the chair in the corner playing with the mirror...you can hear her laughing which also helps me heal:

1 comment:

Audrey Gustafson said...

Feel better soon! Love the moment when Hannah closes her eyes because she is so into her dance moves. YES!!