Monday, January 9, 2012

Rachel Lee, One Year Old



My Dear Darling Rachel Lee,

One year. It seemed like I waited forever for you to arrive, and now I cannot believe we were a family without you. This last year with you has just flown by, and it seems like you passed through the baby phase quickly, rolling, sitting, crawling, cruising and walking all too soon for me. I have enjoyed these phases with you so much, and am so blessed to have you in my life. I wish that I could pause this time, fast forward to at time when you are older and show you how much you are loved by everyone: by me, your daddy, your sisters, by grandparents, cousins and just by passer-byers who stop to admire you beauty. You really are loved, deeply and thoroughly!

You are a one year old that is small in size but large in personality, and full of energy. You are confident playing with older kids and enthralled when you are around smaller babies. You know how to get attention when you want it, and you know how to play independently when you want. You know how to slow me down and remind me that I am never too busy for you, my little dear one.

Although you like playing with others, you LOVE animals. You so gentle (or as gentle as a one year old can be) with pets, and you like to chase down dogs at the park to pet them. The other day at the park you cried when the dog ran away. You were terribly upset that the dog was too fast for you to keep up with. I scooped you up and you pointed at the dog and sighed sadly. Even without words you are expressive and understandable, and I love knowing what you want and think. I cannot wait for your words to come!

When I was pregnant I remember telling people that Hannah was not a good eater and Kate was not a good sleeper and that I was hoping to have a baby that would sleep and eat. You have been a dream baby in that regard. You eat, you sleep, you wake and play. Not quite a textbook baby because you sometimes sleep early or late, eat a lot or a little, but you are such a flexible, easy going, fund loving, active baby. And you are healthy. I don't worry if you are growing fast enough if you are hitting landmarks or if you are doing what other kids are: I simply enjoy being with you, and what a gift you are!

So, thank you.

Thank you for blessing our family with you smiles, giggles, coos and energy. Thank you for blessing me with your snuggles and hugs; for reaching for me when you are sad and for finding comfort in just being in my arms and being together. You are a blessing that keeps blessing me more every day in new and exciting ways. I love you, and cannot wait for this next year with you to begin and to celebrate new moments, struggle through tough ones, and in the end grow together as a family.

May you always know that love that we have for you, and may you always know the giver of life, hope and love, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Many blessings sweet baby.

Love,
Your Mama

2 comments:

The Lacy Family said...

crying again! you always do this to me when you write letters to your girls! i agree the year flew by quickly...take care!

Audrey Gustafson said...

i love how RL looks like a little princess doll sitting next to her bday cake. Such a cutie!!