Friday, August 12, 2011

Here's to A New Day

Yesterday was an exceptionally bad day. In fact, we're in a bit of a hard phase with Kate. She seems to have a knack for sneaking off and within seconds creating chaos. And, she seems to know when I am distracted and take advantage of every. single. second.

But back to yesterday...

I was planning some errands for the day and realized that tuition for Hannah's school is due. I called Jeff to double check our finances, and I hung up and the cell phone said 2:00:00...2 minutes people. In that time Kate had stripped down, chalked herself head to toe in blue chalk and, (and this is the kicker!) cut. Hannah's. hair.

The cut was short and right in the front. I noticed hair on the floor and said, who cut the hair?? Hannah then said, "Kate cut my hair but I didn't want to tell you because I knew you'd be mad." And this is the stage Hannah is at: hiding important information and sometimes lying because she knows better.

And she was right. I hit the roof. I have found that my girls can upset me like nothing else lately. Maybe it's fatigue, being out of touch with my Mom friends, the fact that we've been busy, or the fact that with Jeff's work schedule lately I haven't had a moment to sit and think or veg or do whatever I want, like pray. Whatever it is, there is this angry side of me that has emerged this summer and quite honestly, I understand Hannah's fear telling the truth when she knows angry mom is going to rear her ugly head.

So, after a time out, clean up, showers and the removal of all art supplies I gave Hannah a hair cut. I staggered some bang in the front hoping to hid the fact that the cut is so short. It could be worse. And hair grows back. And Hannah didn't mind the hair cut. So angry mom, this is a message to you: take it easy. Words and actions can never be undone, so watch what you say, watch what you do and you need to love each these precious girls as Christ loves you.

Here is the end result...feel free to tell me how beautiful Hannah's hair is. I would love the extra bit of encouragement.


3 comments:

The Lacy Family said...

she looks beautiful! great job mom!!! i know one day you will look back at these times and laugh...be thankful you can spend these wonderful times with them...going back to work soon is making me treasure every moment even if some are really bad ones! take care!

Unknown said...

yup. hair grows back!! and hannah looks beautiful no matter what. (but i totally understand the quick to anger stages that come and go depending on how busy the husband is!!!!!) hope you get some down-time soon.

Audrey Gustafson said...

Hannah looks so cute. I hadn't gotten a chance to read this story when I saw you guys. Never would have guessed it was a recovery haircut. You know, when I was five, I "accidentally" cut my friends hair when we were playing make believe barbershop. Then I had to even it out. Then I had to even that out. I took off ten inches right before their scheduled family photos. I still remember the yelling from that friend's mom, and the comforting words I got from my own mom on the walk home. You are so right that hair will grow back, but words are forever. Oh, and BTW, Hannah looks so OLD!!! That is such a grown-up smile on her face. I am seeing more and more of your sisters in her face!! Crazy how fast she is growing up!!