Thursday, August 6, 2009

August 2008


August 2008: My life changed forever. It was a good change. A great change. An incredible, remarkable life change. August 2008 brought me my baby girl, my Kate.

I woke at 2 am on August 17 thinking I was faced with another false alarm. I soon realized that we needed to go to the hospital, and within a few hours my sweet Catherine Grace was in my arms. I got to hold her right away, which was such a surprise...no exams, no warmer, just Jeff, me and my precious baby girl. What joy! I held her, I fed her and I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She was born gorgeous with a perfectly shaped head, fuzzy hair, tiny fingers and toes, and a peaceful demeanor. What a wonder she was! My tiny bundle of joy, my Kate.

Later we introduced Hannah to her new sister, and both Jeff and I remember that we felt like a family. We weren't just parents anymore, but we had a new dimension to our family: siblings. Sisters. The first time I held both my girls I cried tears of happiness. What a beautiful wonderful gift God gave me. Catherine Grace, my Kate.

We took Kate home the next day, only to learn later that she had high levels of jaundice and needed to be on bili-lights at the house. The small cord connecting Kate to the lights made it hard to hold Kate and chase after Hannah. This was the first time I realized that two is twice the work: do I put Kate down and get Hannah, or do I hold Kate and ignore Hannah? Which kid would get my attention? Fortunately my mom arrived, and later my dad, and they helped in every way imaginable. When my mom left I cried: how could I care for two? How could I show my love to both Hannah and my Kate?

I spent August 2008 loving my girls, keeping up with housework the best I could, nursing, and sleeping very little. Here I am a year later, and this is still the balancing act I try to manage. As Kate approaches her year birthday I still find myself amazed at her beauty, and overwhelmed with love for her. My life is forever changed, for the better, because of August 17, 2008. I love you, my Kate.

2 comments:

G-ma said...

I remember being in Boston and the surprises new baby Kate brought into the new Murry family. Just figuring out how to get in and out of the car where only one back door opened was a task within itself. Leaving a mom home with two small children crying on her porch just didn't seem right, but look where you are now! We're proud of you, Sarah, and we love watching you and Jeff "parent" the girls in the loving way you both do. Keep up the good work and you can have girls like we do! (all you need is one more girl and 30 years and you'll be where we're at now!)

Jenny said...

I will never forget your face when it was time. After all the false labor, I could tell just by looking at you. I'm so honored to have been a part of your everyday life at that moment.