Tuesday, May 19, 2009

9 Monther

Jeff just informed me that today is not May 17, but May 19...I need to look at a calendar more often! My dear Kate, if you ever read this blog posting know that your mama forgets things more often these days. My love for you is deeper than the ocean and wider than the rivers!

Kate is nine months. Nine months. That means she is only 3 months away from her one year birthday. Kate has brought so much joy, laughter, and happiness to our family. She has also brought humility and confusion to us as we realize that she already has her own personality despite what we do as parents. It's that interesting mix and nature and nuture, and we pray that as we continue to nuture our sweet Kate that she will know and love God deeply.

At nine months Kate rolls and rolls and rolls! She hates to be on her tummy, and will sound as if she is being tortured if we keep her on her tummy for longer that 10 seconds. For this reason she has yet to crawl, which I take as a blessing. It is so great to set her down and know that she will not be crawling somewhere. She will squirm a little to get toys that are out of her reach, but would rather roll and find a different toy than spend time on her tummy.

She sleeps on her side unswaddled and in the same room as her big sister. She likes her pacifier, but doesn't need it to go to sleep. We have started to give her rice cereal before I nurse her at night and the last three nights she has only gotten up once, fed really well, and then returned to sleeping. Praise the LORD!!! I don't know if this will continue, but it is so nice to not have crying in the middle of the night, or multiple wakings at night. I tried some rice cereal before bed a few weeks ago, and she refused to eat any of it. Jeff now holds her while feeding her and she eats a good amount of cereal. It's not a habit we want to continue, but if it means a few more hours of sleep we will do it!

Kate likes being held, but she is picky about who can hold her. He preference is me, then Jeff, and after that it's a completely subject to her whim. We have noticed that she will let smaller women with a quiet demeanor hold her and if some men look at her as if they might take her she lets out a wail that scares them off. I love my Catherine! I really do! In grocery stores or at the park people come up and say how cute she is, and she gets this poutty lip, her hands start to quiver and she burst into tears. It's the best way to keep strangers from touching her.

Kate is eating finger foods with every meal, and in between her bites of food we manage to slip in some baby food. So far she seems to love cheese, and like whole wheat bread, whole wheat noodles, chicken, and peas. Fruits have never been her favorite thing, and she will pick around them to get to her favorite items. Yeah, we have a picky eater on our hands!

Kate nurses 4 times a day and once at night. I have a sippy cup that she is learning to use, and at meal times I offer her formula in a bottle. I love that nursing has gone so well, but I really do miss my freedom and await the one year mark when I hope to have her weaned.

Kate likes sliding and swinging, and will often hold up a blanket in front of her face to play peek-a-boo. She also love to hold our fingers and walk around, trying to keep up with Hannah. She has a tickle spot under her chin and on her thighs and will give you the greatest laugh ever if you nibble on her toes.

Kate continues to have many nicknames. The one that Jeff and I use the most is Tate, which is how big sis pronounces Kate. We also call her Tatters and Tatter Tot as variations of Tate.

No comments: